Personal effectiveness is not just achieving our goals because we could also do so in a very wasteful, time consuming or sloppy way. It goes beyond what you want and also making use of time and other resources at your disposal. Personal effectiveness is characterized by making the best use of your resources in a skillful way to achieve your goals efficiently with your body, spirit and soul (emotions) in unity. Personal effectiveness therefore, is understanding every aspect of your being in other to create what you want in life and at work, discover your potential, connect with it and engage your passion to ultimately find fulfillment, be the leader of your life rather than struggling to suppress and conquer it.
Which of these goals means something to you?
- Getting my work done to high quality standards
- Taking care of my family and making them happy
- Career advancement
- Influencing people
- Making new friends
- Earning a lot of money
- Earning the respect of my colleagues
- Becoming an expert in my field.
Your choice from the above list will determine your attitude and approach to work and life. How can you become more personally effective? Start by having a clear understanding of your goals, values and priorities. You need to know what skills to acquire in other to achieve your desired goals. What then is the most efficient, easiest way to achieve what you want, how can you apply your skills, and how can you invest your time and efforts to get the best return on all your efforts and talents? It is hard to be personally effective without passion, commitment and competence.
PASSION: life is too short to spend eight hours a day doing something you don’t care about. Great things happen when people do things they are passionate about. Passion has been a determining factor to my career success. Through this experience of been able to find my passion, I feel it is expedient that I give people the opportunity to find that passion in themselves. So many people have lost their passion and thus their profession has become just a job (a means to an end) because they feel something is missing in their career.
Passion is the game changer in life and any profession. Thus if we can have more passionate people in their field of discipline, we will be better off at what we do and life will become more meaningful and fulfilling. Improving this attitude makes your days go by without noticing it. It will help you wake up excited to work and also make right decisions. Passion is a self generated tool that gives you the ability to motivate your self, get yourself excited about what you do because your passion set the mood for everyone around you.
Passion is an intense enthusiasm for something. It is the driving force that propels or inspires you to do what you do even for free. If you are working a job you are passionate about, you:
- Look forward to going to work
- Feel energized by what you do
- Feel your contribution is respected and appreciated
- Feel proud when describing your work to others
- Enjoy and respect the people you work with
- Feel optimistic about your future.
If you do not feel any of the above then you have lost your passion and all you have to do is to:
- Develop passion for a GOODLIFE
- Develop passion for your CAREER
- Develop passion for your ORGANIZATION
- Develop passion for JOB/TASK
- Develop passion for your COLLEAGUES
- Develop passion for EXCELLENCE.
COMMITMENT: successful people create successful organizations because the limit of an organization success is its people success. As an individual what is your brand and how is it impacting the growth of your business/job, and the society at large? How committed are you to your life’s goal, and organization/business vision? What strategies have you employed to help yourself/business/organization achieve her mission? How do you see your profession? Do you believe you are contributing to the future of a nation? Do people or your colleagues see you as a role model? How often do you develop your self? If you own a business, and you are to recruit board members, will you recruit someone that has your kind of attitude towards work? What are you giving back to your organization? What is your driving force? Is the job you are doing now a means to an end or an end to a means? Would you like to win an award in this field? These questions play a great role because your answer to them will determine your level of commitment. Where you look will determine what you see and what you see will determine how you will judge and how you judge will determine your line of action and your line of action will determine your habit and attitude towards work and life. If your answers to the above questions are positive, you will thrive to do the following:
- Take responsibility
- Have a sense of partnership with your organization
- Make positive impact
- Be a role model worthy of emulation
- Be the best in all you do
- Do the right thing at all time
- Value time and make the best of it
- Care and show that you care
- Consciously build a worthy legacy
- Make your family, nation, and God proud.
COMPETENCE: most times people mistake confidence for competence. Confidence is a function of attitude while competence is a function of ability. However, you need both in equal proportions to succeed as a professional because your success and achievement will not depend on the absence of externally driven limiting factors but the presence of internally driven motivating factors. To effectively do this, you must imbibe the following:
- Be a Doer: don’t just do a good job; do a great job through the process of creative thinking. Do your work without creating problems for others by doing it on time and accurately. When working with others, look for ways to help them without making them feel inadequate.
- Know Your Job but don’t be a know it all: always be eager to learn more. Learning more is different from knowing more. Make it a habit to learn something new about your profession everyday.
- Be a Team Player: many tasks in the work place require team efforts. Be an integral part of that effort. Being reliable is a great attribute.
- Don’t be Afraid to Ask for Help: give people the opportunity to be good at what they do when they help you. Helping others to shine makes you more valuable to them.
When you understand yourself, you give room for your inner power (will) to grow and when your “WILL” is empowered positively, you will realize that you can create and make your desires a reality within your circle of influence and within the parameters of your skills and talents. God bless you and see you at the top.